- "It tackles existential struggles that many of us grapple with – and the film industry virtually ignores – while doing so in an entertaining way. Taylor's film is never boring"
San Francisco Chronicle
- "This is a rare bird, a sincere movie about Christian faith."
New York Post
- "It steadfastly refuses to demonize."
- "Witty, provocative and life-affirming."
- "Just earnest enough to blend its religious theme with a beer-chugging hero for a surprisingly contemporary look at faith."
- "…the film is very visually accomplished, with handsome compositions, labored-over art direction, and constant employment of the titular hue."
- "…gets the atmosphere of intellectual curiosity mixed with know-it-allness just right…It's a story that needs to be told"
- "Loosely belongs to the same universe as Portlandia… This is a movie with heart"
- "Sincere and literary…"
New York Times
- "…a cut above the usual indie-comedy mock shock."
- "It's a glorious anomaly: a subtle, sophisticated, open-minded, and courageously non-judgmental Christian film even non-believers can enjoy. Hallelujah!"
Onion A.V. Club